Saturday, July 14, 2012

In The Blink of an Eye - Plans Change



 These were some of the plants I was taking care of.  Some crepe myrtle had taken over a flower bed so I decided to pull it, rearrange flowers, put new edging down and breath a breath of fresh air into the existing bed in front of the house and to the side of the house.

I know this is a bad time of year to think about doing this type of activity, but unfortunately, that is how my mind works.  Plus with all the time watering during the drought I really started noticing how badly they needed work.   Two beds down and two to go - not bad.  Would give me something to do during the early morning hours and late evening hours - before the sun hit full.

Crepe Mrytle all pulled and that was a job!  Shovel a zillion loads (or so it seems) of mulch and took to the compost pile.  Dug up some of the plants and replanted into other locations or into pots for the "duration" of the project!

Then it happened - walking across the kitchen floor to fill a plastic bottle of drinking water and I fell - apparently tripped over my own feet!   Took me an hour to get up.  Doors locked, just me and the dog. Finally managed a poorly executed one-egged shuffle to the bedroom and collapsed on the bed thinking it would get better when I got over the excitement and got myself calmed down.  It was then that I realized I couldn't move my leg on it's own.  Long story short - trip to hospital, x-rays and cat scans, and diagnosis -broken hip.  Just got home and am trying to figure out which way to turn. I am lucky in that there is little displacement therefore they have recommended non-weight bearing for 4-6 weeks and we'll take it from there.  I'm thankful that at this point surgery is not required but very fearful as patience has never been in my vocabulary!!!  And am just now realizing what my limitations are.............arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I know I am not the only person who has ever dealt with this - and I will survive it.    I've begun collecting books to read, pictures to scan and thinking this will be a good time to review plans for those flower beds since obviously this will now be a fall project!!!  

Ideas anyone?



0 comments: